Parks Canada is investing more than $3 million to upgrade and repair facilities at Western Brook Pond. Started in 2017, the project will be completed in 2019.
HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN THE WORK IS COMPLETE:
- Expanded solar powered washroom facilities and parking lot adjacent to Route 430.
- A new off-grid storage building near the parking lot.
- Re-constructed trail including a realignment, lower grades, and a hardened trail surface.
- A wider trail to allow for multi-use activities (e.g. walking, bicycling, strollers, wheelchairs) and emergency medical vehicle access.
- A new wharf on Western Brook Pond.
- A revitalized boathouse with a new building envelope to protect it from extreme winds.
- Dredging of a few shallow areas in the pond near the boat house will allow for boat storage in early fall when water levels are naturally low, allowing for a longer tour season.