Tourism Assurance Plan
The Tourism Assurance Plan (TAP) was first implemented in 2015 as a voluntary program to elevate the quality of tourism services and attractions in the province. Partners of the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Board have been working with operators to promote the program and to provide assistance in meeting the program’s five minimum standards. Operators that choose to participate in the program will be eligible for participation in provincial marketing and promotions and/or for membership/partnership opportunities with Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador (HNL) and/or the provincial Destination Management Organizations (DMOs).
Operators that meet the minimum standards of TAP are encouraged to ensure this is reflected in TDMS via the Tourism Operator Profile by the deadline dates as outlined below:
Important Deadline Dates:
- All tourism services and attractions, outside the outfitting sector, must indicate TAP approval by May 31 of each year to meet the submission deadlines for the following year’s Traveller’s Guide by submitting their Tourism Operator Profiles to TDMS. For example, May 31, 2018 is the deadline for submission in the 2019 Traveller’s Guide.
- Please note that accommodators must also submit licensing requirements (including Canada Select inspection/payment and occupancy statistics) by August 28 of each year to be included in the following year’s Traveller’s Guide.
- Hunting and Angling Outfitters that are TAP approved are eligible for free listings on NewfoundlandandLabrador.com and are provided in tandem with annual outfitting license renewal. Forms must be returned any time before March 31 each year.
Operators may update their TDMS Tourism Operator Profile at anytime by logging into the TDMS web update system or by contacting the TDMS Team at the Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation: Tel: (709) 729-5599; Email: TDMS@gov.nl.ca.
Operators that are concerned they may not meet the standards are encouraged to contact one of organizations listed below for further direction on where to access resources to meet these standards.
For more information on TAP please click here or contact one of the following:
Hospitality NL: 1-800-563-0700
Destination Labrador: 709-896-6507
Go Western Newfoundland: 709-639-4787
Adventure Central Newfoundland: 709-486-9558
Legendary Coasts of Eastern Newfoundland: 709-466-7992
Destination St. John’s: 709-739-8876
The Tourism Assurance Plan (TAP) will ensure that Newfoundland and Labrador’s tourism industry is able to remain competitive with other national and international destinations. TAP involves five common minimum standards that are aimed at promoting tourism organizations that provide quality travel experiences and assist tourism services and attractions improve the way they operate.
- The ability to communicate and receive messages from customers by telephone, email and an online presence; and at a minimum, accept credit and/or debit card payment and respond to inquiries on a daily basis.
- Possess and maintain valid licenses, permits and all other regulatory requirements to operate.
- Maintain current and sufficient levels of liability insurance. Proof of insurance to be provided upon request.
- Must deliver actual experiences or services being promoted and/or offered to the consumer.
- Must be in good standing with Tourism Assurance Plan’s complaints procedure.
The Tourism Assurance Plan is a significant step forward for the tourism industry in Newfoundland and Labrador. It will increase consumer/traveller confidence in the services and attractions we offer and contribute to the overall sustainability of our industry. All partners of the NL Tourism Board have endorsed this plan and will collaborate, in the future, to enhance quality assurance standards of the industry.