Hospitality NL accepting applications for NL Tourism Board Industry Representatives
May 29, 2017
Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador is currently accepting applications from representatives of member organizations interested in serving as one of Hospitality NL’s representatives on the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Board. There are two vacant positions to be filled.
The deadline for Tourism Board applications is June 16, 2017. At that time, Hospitality NL’s Governance Committee will review the applications and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors for appointment to the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Board as a Hospitality NL representative.
The following are guidelines for Industry representatives on the Tourism Board:
- Applicant must be a member in good standing of the provincial tourism industry association, Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Applicant must have demonstrated extensive tourism industry expertise in senior management positions and/or in owning/operating a tourism organization with at least ten years experience in the tourism industry.
- Applicant must be able and willing to participate in meetings and functions as scheduled by the Tourism Board.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- The industry representative position is a two-year term with an option to renew for an additional two-year term.
- Deadline for submission of applications is June 16, 2017.
See below for a backgrounder on the NL Tourism Board, current structure and representatives on the board.
Hospitality NL is very excited about what lies ahead of us in the next few years as we work to achieve the province’s Vision for Tourism. Hospitality NL looks forward to working with all partners moving forward. For more information, please contact Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador’s CEO, Craig Foley at email@example.com or 1-800-563-0700 ext. 232.
Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador launched Uncommon Potential: A Vision for Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism (Vision 2020) in 2009. Vision 2020 establishes seven Strategic Directions, priorities and actions to guide the development of Newfoundland and Labrador’s tourism industry over the next decade. The first priority in achieving the Vision was the establishment of a private/public Tourism Board.
Now, more than ever, we are poised to meet the challenges head on and achieve our ultimate goal: doubling tourism spending by 2020 by attracting more visitors, getting them to stay longer and providing opportunities for them to experience more. Other priorities moving forward include the continued implementation of the Tourism Assurance Plan (TAP) and the Destination Development Processes, two initiatives designed to facilitate the continued growth and elevation of Newfoundland and Labrador’s tourism industry.
The following principles are the foundation of sustainable tourism development that will guide us throughout our continued journey to 2020:
- Respect for our Home. Develop tourism experiences that support, protect, and enhance a sustainable society, economy, and environment.
- Respect for our Residents. Collaborate with tourism partners to garner our collective knowledge and experience for the benefit of our people and our province.
- Respect for Travellers. Deliver appealing, memorable, and quality experiences for our travellers at every stage of their journey.
- Respect for Profit. Make investment decisions based on the ability to sustain economic growth and prosperity in our province.
- Respect for Communication. Commit to ongoing, positive, and constructive dialogue within our industry as a cornerstone for achieving our vision.
The Tourism Board is comprised of government, industry and destination management organization representatives. An Industry Chair, Darlene Thomas, was appointed in September 2015 for a two-year term.
4 Hospitality NL leaders:
- Hospitality NL Chair position, Dion Finlay
- Industry Representative – Rex Avery
- Industry Representative - Vacant Position
- Industry Representative - Vacant Position
5 Destination Management Organizations leaders:
- Greg Fleming, Vice-Chair, Destination St. John’s
- Marieke Gow, Chair, Legendary Coasts of Eastern Newfoundland
- Vacant Position, Chair, Adventure Central Newfoundland
- Ed English, Chair, Go Western Newfoundland
- Peyton Barrett, Chair, Destination Labrador
Senior government leaders:
- Carmela Murphy, Assistant Deputy Minister of Tourism & Culture, Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry & Innovation
- Marc Kielley, Assistant Deputy Minister of Regional Economic Development & Diversification, Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry & Innovation
- David Boland, Director, Community Economic Development, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, Newfoundland and Labrador office
In order to achieve our Vision of doubling annual tourism revenues by 2020, industry and government have to work together to set the priorities and focus. The Tourism Board is responsible for championing the implementation of the Vision and leading the way to 2020.
For more information on the Tourism Board and Vision 2020, please visit www.hnl.ca/resources/vision-2020.
- 1 Nov 17, 2017 Hospitality NL leads innovative training research project...more...
- 2 Nov 08, 2017 Recognizing Disabilities Mentoring Daymore...
- 3 Sep 26, 2017 Hospitality NL announces 2017 recipients of Silver...more...
- 4 Sep 18, 2017 Hospitality NL highlights tourism priorities and significant...more...
- 5 Sep 18, 2017 Upcoming Tourism Technology Webinarsmore...
- 6 Jul 27, 2017 Canadian Tourism Employment Snapshot – Junemore...
- 7 Jul 27, 2017 Tourism Tech Tips from TourismTechnology.commore...
- 8 Jul 27, 2017 Member Benefit Spotlight – Harold Snow Service Groupmore...
- 9 Jul 27, 2017 emerit® Event Coordinator Professional Certificationmore...
- 10 Jul 13, 2017 Join us in Newfoundland and Labrador in 2019 for Atlantic...more...