green Panel

Minors and Show Your Age

Some establishments deal with the issue of underage consumers constantly. Getting into a trendy bar is a major goal for some young people.

In this section you will review:

  • Valid forms of identification
  • Checking ID
  • When to refuse service
  • Second Party Sales

Some establishments deal with the issue of underage consumers constantly. Getting into a trendy bar is a major goal for some young people. Other establishments may only deal with the problem occasionally. All licensed premises need to have clear and effective procedures to deal with underage consumers. In Newfoundland and Labrador a person must be 19 years of age to purchase and consume alcohol.

Checking ID (identification) is your first line of defence. Check the ID of anyone who looks younger than 25 or who may be a minor. Refuse service to anyone who does not produce valid proof of ID when requested.

PHOTO ID is mandatory as proof of age by virtue of The Liquor Control Act.

Acceptable ID
The following are acceptable Photo IDs:
Government issued photo IDs

Checking ID
When checking ID, make sure it has not been tampered with or altered in any way.


  • It is valid and not expired.
  • The picture and description on the ID match the person producing it.
  • Lamination has not been tampered with.
  • There are no bumps or irregularities which may indicate tampering.
  • The photo is genuine and has not been substituted.
  • The lettering that provides information on name and date of birth has not been altered.

Verifying ID
If you suspect a piece of ID is false or has been tampered with, ask for a second piece of ID or request that the person verify their signature.

To test the signature, have the person sign and date a piece of paper, and compare it to the ID. Also, write the person’s driver’s license number (and other ID information) on the paper and keep the sample in the logbook.

If the ID is not reasonable/believable, refuse alcohol service.

If the ID is suspicious, quiz the person on the details (eye colour, height, weight, etc.)

Second Party Sales
Allowing someone else to buy for a minor is also illegal. You can confiscate purchases or refuse to sell to someone if you suspect he/she is buying for a minor. If a customer buys a drink for, or shares with a minor in an establishment where minors are allowed, you can:

  • Remind the customer of the law regarding minors and request he/she not provide the minor with alcohol.
  • Confiscate the drink.
  • Ask the party to leave.


  • emerit

    emerit has been developed by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC) in collaboration with tourism industry professionals. It has become synonymous with excellence, credibility, and professionalism in the Canadian tourism sector. For more information go to

  • Discover Tourism

    The Discover Tourism career awareness program was developed to communicate employment and career opportunities in the tourism sector to a range of target audiences including Youth, New Canadians, Persons with Disabilities, Pre and Post Retirees.

  • Canadian Academy of Travel and Tourism

    The Canadian Academy of Travel & Tourism (CATT) focuses on building partnerships between education and industry in order to foster the next generation of Canadian travel & tourism leaders.